Hooray! It's our first walking school bus Friday test run! Does anyone have a catchy name idea? Fast Feet Fridays? Fuel-Free Fridays? We'll just pick one at random in the next few weeks unless someone comes up with a good idea. Poll the kids on your route!
- Come to see Brooke after you get to school to pick up a safety vest and orange flag, and to report # of children, route changes, and times at major points. We will update the online maps. Brooke will have a bright pink bag and a yellow umbrella.
- We would like to track # kids, route maps, and times for the next few Fridays before official launch. Even if you don't have time to check in personally, please email us your thoughts and info!
- We don't really have bus 'stops' since the bus just keeps going, and picks up anyone standing outside along the way
- Change your route as you see appropriate, ensuring that we pass volunteers' houses and are as safe as possible (this is a trial period for purposes of adjustments). We might make changes later, depending on interested families' locations. We can be flexible!
- Make sure leaders and kids know about safety - cross at crosswalks and lights wherever possible, kids ALWAYS wait for a leader to cross an intersection first
- We want to make walking to school as easy as possible. Not asking anyone to change something that is working! Tell us what you want, and we will advertise that
- Official advertising for participants won't happen until the 1st week in October. Official kick-off on Wednesday October 5, and then we'll start with Fridays only (Thursdays on Southeast route), and expand as volunteers would like.
Safety guidelines (we'll summarize the key ones when we have time, but volunteers can scan these for now):* http://www.safekids.org/our-work/research/fact-sheets/pedestrian-safety-fact-sheet.html
* More on establishing safe routes coming next week when we have a moment to catch our breath...
If anyone wants to volunteer with coordination of Walk to School Day on October 5 (posters, giveaways, printer stickers for participants, talking to staff, getting on MyGreenlake blog, etc.), please don't hesitate to step forward!